What is ``Pregna`` IUD?
T-shaped small flexible plastic device with Copper collars on arms and Copper wire coiled around the stem.
How does ``Pregna`` IUD work?
- Copper IUDs prevent pregnancy by changing the way sperm cells move so they can’t get to an egg. If sperm can’t make it to an egg, pregnancy can’t happen.
- “Pregna” IUD uses copper to prevent pregnancy. Sperm doesn’t like copper, so the Pregna IUD makes it almost impossible for sperm to get to that egg.
- Copper reduces the ability of sperm to fertilize the egg.
- Copper prevents a fertilized egg from successfully implanting in the lining of the uterus if fertilization occurred.
What are the advantages of ``Pregna`` IUD?
- Provides up to 10 years of contraceptive protection. “Long-acting”
- 99% effective, as only 1 in 100 people will get pregnant each year.
- You don’t need to think about contraception every day.
- Does not affect breastfeeding.
- Reversible – you can choose to have it taken out at any time. After that, you will be able to get pregnant again
- Studies show that IUDs do NOT cause pimples, headaches, sore breasts, nausea, mood changes, loss of sex drive or weight gain. There is no evidence of an extra risk of cancer.
What will you notice?
Some women might notice some changes to their period, while others might not.
With Pregna IUD, your periods might be longer, heavier and more painful, especially in the first few months. This usually gets better with time.
Who is ``Pregna`` IUD suitable for?
- Women with no history of pelvic inflammatory disease or infection of the upper genital tract.
- Woman who has at least one child.
- Woman who is in a suitable and mutually faithful relationship that does not place her at elevated risk of having STDs “Sexually-transmitted Diseases”.
When can you get ``Pregna`` IUD?
“Pregna” IUD can be put in at any time you choose. You must not already be pregnant.
Some good times to get it put in are:
- While you have your period or just after.
- 6 weeks after your baby is born or immediately after childbirth (within 10 minutes).
- As emergency contraception after unprotected sex.